Welcome to WFLA’s Newest Weekend Meteorologist, Brooks Garner
Brooks Garner will be joining WFLA’s staff on May 3rd to take over the weekend evening meteorologist position. Brooks has worked at WIS TV as Chief Meteorologist in Columbia, South Carolina the past 5 years. Prior to that he worked for WHDH in Boston as a weather producer. Brooks is a graduate of the Massachusetts College of Art in Boston and Mississippi State University.
Fun Facts about Brooks:
- He got his first taste for weather when Hurricane Gloria assaulted his Rhode Island neighborhood back in the 80s, knocking down 150-year-old trees and sending seagulls flying backwards.
- Years later, he bicycled across the country, from Virginia Beach to Los Angeles — a 4,000 mile trip in six weeks — and personally experienced virtually everything nature has to offer!
- For undergrad, he pursued his other passion: the arts. Brooks earned a BFA at the Massachusetts College of Art in Boston, majoring in Film/Video with studies in Graphic Design.
- He finished graduate studies in Geosciences at Mississippi State University, earning their Certificate of Broadcast Meteorology. Soon after, he was awarded the National Weather Association (NWA) Seal of Approval, and American Meteorological Society (AMS) Seal of Approval, becoming a meteorologist.
- His career in weather has spanned not just from television, but also to Hollywood! Brooks was the consulting meteorologist for the movie, “Nailed” (2009), starring Jake Gyllenhaal and Jessica Biel, filmed in the Columbia area. He provided daily forecasts to the cast and crew and warned of impending inclement weather that could put production of the multimillion dollar film in danger.
- Follow Brooks on Twitter at: http://twitter.com/BrooksGarner
Entry filed under: Television.