TBO.com Celebrates 15 Years of Serving the Tampa Bay Community Online
August 11, 2009 – Today, TBO.com celebrates 15 years of serving the Tampa Bay community online. August 11, 1994 marked the first date of online publishing for TBO.com, making The Tampa Tribune one of the first newspapers in the nation with a dedicated news Web site.
- 1994: Unique audience numbers peaked at 6,000.
- 1996: In November, the first video clip ran on TBO.com from News Channel 8 of President Clinton’s victory speech.
- 1997: In February, TBO.com was named one of the top online services in an international competition by Editor & Publisher.
- 1999: WFLA joined TBO.com, making the site a true multi-media portal for news and information.
- 2001: In September, TBO.com won the first-ever national Edward R. Murrow award for best Web site in a large market and then went on to win the television industry award in 2003.
- 2004: Storm Team 8 proves to be a local leader with online weather as hurricanes generated more than a million page views in a single day.
- 2005: TBO.com was the first in the market to send breaking news alerts via text message.
- 2006: TBO.com launched a mobile Web site, m.tbo.com.
- 2008: In August, TBO.com’s mobile Web site, m.tbo.com reached 800,000 pages views primarily due to weather and radar viewing.
Today, TBO.com serves more than 3 million unique visitors each month with well over 20 million page views every month. TBO.com recently introduced new interactive elements to its site including VIPIR Interactive Radar from Storm Team 8 allowing users to zoom down to street level and view storms just above their neighborhoods. TBOsnap.com launched as the new user video submission tool, allowing Tampa Bay residents to record news and report it straight from their video cell phones via e-mail to email@example.com. Also as a leader in mobile Web technology, m.tbo.com recently released news and weather videos on the iphone platform and is receiving record views from TBO mobile iphone users.
“The biggest change in 15 years has been the growth of digital news – first on the Web, and now on mobile and social networks. We’re proud of the team that’s dedicated to the success of this 24 hour news service and that continues to work every day to make us Tampa’s No.1 source for breaking news,” says TBO.com’s Content Director, Loren Omoto.
To see a timeline of significant events in TBO.com history click this link: http://multimedia.tbo.com/multimedia/flash/tbotimeline/tbotimeline.htm
Just to see how far the website has come, take a look at this screenshot from 1997:
Versus this screenshot taken today:
Entry filed under: Online.